
my watercolour instructor insists we use artist quality supplies which is feasible if one was, like, 102 years old and/or had a job which is everyone in the class but me. there's this one paintbrush, called the skyflow or something like that, that the instructor constantly raves about. everyone followed suit and bought one. I too went to Curry's with every intention of buying one, till discovering it is priced at $120 ($60 when the Curry's paintbrush sale and my art student discount, but even so, $60 for a paintbrush is a tad bit too much).
I did spent a great amount of money on paints last week. A tube of watercolours is a minimum of $6; I bought some for $20 each. No wonder artists are poor and starving. Fortunately, I'm not starving yet so I splurged on paper before the concert today, $40 on an Arches watercolour block. The block only consists of twenty sheets so either the paper better be washable or I better be producing some masterpieces.
Arton was a couple of stores away from Curry's and I stopped by just to take a look which meant I went home with bags of new beads. I can now start on the earrings commissioned by Auntie Alice but I also went over my weekly budget. I'm going to have to stay in for the next two weeks and abstain from looking at online clothing stores and ebay.
I miss the days when the art class provided the materials and whatever other craft/art supplies I wanted, mum or daddy paid for it. This whole independence thing sucks.

2 comments:
arches is expensive, but oh so worth it. the results you get from that paper are nothing short of amazing, even if you absolutely suck at watercolors (like I do). Back in highschool I decided I was no good, so I resolved to a paint-by-numbers watercolor technique and somehow my painting ended up in the yearbook. i can't attribute the great results to my paints or brushes because I was using those elementary school watercolor palette pucks and the cheapest brushes you can find at any art store. so i give my thanks to arches.
that's what my instructor says! she says the paper does wonder. I may be the crappiest painter and use the crappiest paints and brushes, but as long as I have Arches paper, I'll come up with beautiful things...
and now that you've affirmed her claim I don't feel so cheated of my money.
Post a Comment