bits of my weekend


it was a most delightful weekend in stratford, ontario to celebrate our second year anniversary. stratford is ever so quaint and picturesque— a stars-hollow of some sort (there’s even a town troubadour!); I am quite infatuated with this little city and plan on returning quite frequently.

after driving past fields and fields of gold and emerald, and trees of earthy rustic colours, we arrived in stratford to discover the city was having some sort of culinary festival! there was a picnic lunch packed, but we decided to have “appetizers” at the festival first. we wandered through the booths and tried food samples from local restaurants and community groups and nearby farmers. the smell of cinnamon drew us to blue trailer (with an union jack), selling “brits apple frits” (deep-fried apple fritters). we had intended on ordering only one each, but the local in queue in front of us warned it would not be enough (“I could have seventy!” her son exclaimed). she was quite right; we ended up ordering the half dozen, even three each was not enough (I could have had seventy!). eventually we made our way past the festival and had our romantic picnic lunch— of the bread and spread we’d picked up from the best little pork shoppe— in the car (it had started to rain). the rest of the day included massages, a delicious dinner, and the straford’s shakespeare festival’s production of peter pan. the performance of peter pan was a gem.

the next day we awoke at an ungodly hour of eight-o-clock for a lovely breakfast provided by kit, our b&b host. daniel and I then crawled back into bed to take a nap before check-out. when well-rested, we explored the stratford downtown, stopping at the peter pan picnic for some hot dogs and street performances and, again, at the culinary festival for some more of those “brits apple frits”. we had so much fun going in and out of the little stores and trying to find little antique trinkets to take home. when the day drew to an end, we loaded the car with books and teacups and made our way home

p.s. the beautiful jacket I wore, made of cotton, was an anniversary present from my sweet husband.

1 comment:

chubby said...

Wow, I'm impressed by Daniel's taste. NICE WORK, D!