roman preparations


we’re going to see the pope!!! mind you, not the current alive pope, but the first pope ever... and not in flesh, but just bones.

the scavi tour of the necropolis beneath st. peter’s basilica is highly recommended by multiple rome guide books and websites. apparently only 200 people go through the scavi each day. to obtain a reservation for this exclusive tour, you have to write to the vatican’s excavations office requesting a spot at least thirty days in advance. in the request, you are to provide specific information, such as date of visit and exact number of reservations desired and language of tour. if the request is accepted, the vatican responds with reservation details. you are neither to call the excavations office enquiring about availability nor to ask for a nay or yay in regards to your letter of request. according to forums, people have waited weeks to hear a response from the vatican; one forum contributor experienced 13 weeks of wait time.

it all seems quite mysterious which adds a certain cachet to the tour, and therefore, making me really want to see the tombs. I wrote to the vatican with my request, 42 days prior to the intended date of visit. I was trying to convince daniel to also write in to request a tour in mandarin to increase our chances even if it meant having to endure listening to daniel’s translations. however, I received a positive response from the vatican only a mere two days from the request!

I’m excited for the tour. it’s been described as “vital experience on a rome visit” as well as the highlights of many forum contributors’ roman holiday.

so now, all I need to do is make reservations for the borghese museum and gallery. I have neurotically drafted itineraries that include historic fun facts, tourist tips, addresses, and a wardrobe plan. I’ve also watched roman holiday and when in rome (other rome movie suggestions?), read up on the roman empire, and am reading a travel memoir set in tuscany. I like to be prepared for my travels.

No comments: