I understand that wedding etiquette dictates the save-the-dates to be sent well in advance, and the image was completed many many months ago, but we decided to send them as a link to our wedding website. With work and travelling and moving (x2) and other people’s wedding affairs, the website launch was delayed month after month. But alas, we have also got that done as well.


The save-the-date image and website were all done by yours truly and the mister. It was not easy because…
1. we did not want to use a cookie cutter wedding website template because the freedom to customize to our wedding was limited. We did not want to use a pre-existing image from istock (or something similar) to make our wedding motif simply because we couldn’t really find anything that reflected both of us. So, that left us with the option of coming up with a graphic and webpage design ourselves which complicated things even further because
2. neither Daniel nor I know anything about graphic or webpage design. Why, we’re two engineers; we design environmental management systems and industrial process equipment- not pretty things! Well, Daniel learnt illustrator from watching these incredibly boring videos and I learned dreamweaver from reading other website’s source code.
3. we approach things very differently. I’m the one that usually comes up with ideas for the wedding. Perhaps it’s a gender thing or just a me thing, but I am a bit more creative, especially when it involves making things pretty. However, I am not so good at executing ideas. I want a fairy godmother to make things happen instaneously. While Daniel can’t make things happen with the wave of a wand, he does make things happen. He also can’t turn pie into pumpkin, but he’s a better kind of fairy godmother ‘cause I can kiss him. Daniel is methodical; he takes the time to map things out and learn. While I wish I to teleport or time travel, Daniel doesn’t mind little stepping stones- sometimes it drives me craaaaaaaaaazy how long it takes for him to complete something, but it is why I love him.
4. well, since I come with the ideas and Daniel materializes the ideas, I would have to translate what I saw in my head to Daniel for him to then transfer onto the computer. Two degrees separation and a very onerous task, especially when my ideas are generally not 100% defined and my adjective vocabulary consists of words I made up. Like floopie. Or loopie. Or hoopie. To make things even harder for poor Daniel, when he does not make the “pointy horseshoe thing” more “a rounded floop”, I tend to get a bit drama-queen-ish. but just a bit.
But obstacles were overcome and we have our stds/website. The process has been a testament to how well we work together; we make an awesome team.
Next project: invitations.
4. well, since I come with the ideas and Daniel materializes the ideas, I would have to translate what I saw in my head to Daniel for him to then transfer onto the computer. Two degrees separation and a very onerous task, especially when my ideas are generally not 100% defined and my adjective vocabulary consists of words I made up. Like floopie. Or loopie. Or hoopie. To make things even harder for poor Daniel, when he does not make the “pointy horseshoe thing” more “a rounded floop”, I tend to get a bit drama-queen-ish. but just a bit.
But obstacles were overcome and we have our stds/website. The process has been a testament to how well we work together; we make an awesome team.
Next project: invitations.


No comments:
Post a Comment