Mothers, Daughters

So here is the long awaited post I promised you to come at the end of September which clearly didn't happen... I've been busy working on a project Mothers, Daughters.

The story begins about six months ago when Daniel and I were travelling through Asia. Six days into our attempt of the Everest Base Camp Trek in Nepal, we took a small side trip to acclimatize to the altitude. On the road from Dingboche to Chukhung, in the solitude of nature the mind tends to wander where it will.

On the seemingly endless days gone by, my thoughts consisted of what we were going to eat for dinner (potatoes and daal bhat can leave one a little wanting), a Marc by Marc Jacob’s handbag, and the intrinsic value of my excel spreadsheet building skills during a zombie apocalypse.

On the road towards the Imja Tse, this day was different. This day, my thoughts lingered on my mother’s upcoming milestone birthday, a woman I met in Jaisalmer, India who owned a small shop selling textiles made by local women, and the Nepalese village women collecting yak dung for evening fires and harvesting potatoes for the winter months...

In the shadow of the mountains surrounding the landscape, there was one to which I was drawn. Its snow peaked caps and gentle ridges were a sight to behold. The calm majestic Ama Dablam kept a watchful eye as we continued our ascent. Sherpa Lakpa explained, Ama Dablam — “Mothers and Daughters.” Ama Dablam, in its unassuming beauty and quiet strength, represented all the women, young and old, that drifted through my thoughts that day.

Inspired, I carried an idea up to base camp, and across the globe. We returned home, settled back into the rhythm of our lives. The days passed by until I came across Proverbs 31. It was God telling me “This is who I created you to be”, a woman who seeks Him, who loves her family, who is compassionate, who is an artisan, and who is an entrepreneur. That is who I want to be.

This idea is dedicated to Ama Dablam: Mothers, Daughters.

(note, I'll be "closing" the blog here and blogging from Mothers, Daughters hereinafter. Hope to see you there!)

2 comments:

Kelly said...

so wonderful to see what you've been up to! this is awesome. however, I can't seem to add your new site to my RSS feed...

Kelly said...

Nevermind!!! I figured it out! Your new site is now on my Reader! Can't wait to see all the great things that you come up with.