Strawberry fields forever

This week sure has passed by quickly; I love short weeks! 

So I didn't end up having picnics during the long weekend- we learned a new board game (Modern Art) and played lots of it. We did spend sufficient time outdoors biking and berry picking!
One of the greatest things about where my parents live is that they’re near a plethora u-pick fruit and vegetable farms. In June we discovered a strawberry field less than a five minute drive from their home. We’ve been pairing strawberry picking with the weekly trips to my parents.
I love all the things I can make with strawberries. Berry pudding is a staple, as is berry smoothies. Sometimes I like to make a coulis to drizzle on ice cream. The latest strawberry recipe was jam. Following Pioneer Women’s instructions on canning and the recipe from the Pectin box, I made four small jars of strawberry jam. Albeit a bit boring (all that hulling and mashing and scooping!), it’s quite a satisfying task; it makes me feel so domestic, you know. And fresh strawberry jam is so delicious; the flavour of the strawberries is so amazingly intense. Jamming will be a regular summer activity from now on.

Strawberry season is over now, but that just means raspberries, my favourite berry of them all!!! We picked a few pints so raspberry jam is next!

No comments: