the secret of the old site

when I was younger, my brother, cousin alex, and I formed a clue club. we played the parker brother boardgame a lot and read the clue mysteries books and rode 'round the neighbourhood on our bikes, solving made-up mysteries. even earlier in my childhood, I use to make pencil rubbings ontop of sewer caps, pretending the writing on the caps contained a code to decipher. I've always had a penchant for mysteries.

the closest I've gotten involved in a real-life mystery was when money was taken from our bank account from daniel's debit card a couple weeks ago. it was the day after we had shwarmas for lunch and I was sure it was that sketchy looking guy who served us. I had planned on eating dinner there to sacrifice my debit card and camp outside the shwarma place (with my yummy dinner, of course) to observe the sketchy looking guy. but even before I could begin sleuthing, the bank notified us that money was taken from italy. frankly, I found that disappointing; it's more difficult to tail an italian to expose his/her card-copying ring than it is to follow the shwarma guy.

but anyway, at work I'm working on phase I environmental assessments for this site in toronto. doing phase Is is quite similar to detective work. instead of finding whodunit and whether it was colonel mustard in the library with the candlestick, phase Is identify potential or existing environmental contamination liabilities. more like, is it company x on site x with an oil spillage? the actual work requires a lot of digging around old documents and records; I spent the day at the toronto reference library, looking up city directories and fire insurance plans dating pre-1900, trying to find where storage tanks were located on the site, confirming nature of work of previous tenants on the site etc. it's all really neat. plus, it makes me feel a bit like an erin brokovick/nancy drew hybrid.

solving environmental mysteries (and other work related things) is occupying most of my waking hours and keeping me from recapping the last leg of my italian vacation, but I do plan to finish it before friday sunday next tuesday.
in the meantime, I'll leave you a couple pictures of my latest project: it's for my macaron-eating, pastel-coloured, disgustingly girlie, all girls birthday party I'm throwing myself this coming weekend!

No comments: