roma - day of arrival

17 hours after leaving Toronto, we finally arrived in rome. other than a rather uncomfortable 2 hour nap on the plane ride from Amsterdam to rome, we had stayed awake the duration of the trip: more than a day and a half without sleeping. However exhausted, I was still very excited; we had finally arrived! It was early in the evening, allowing us some time to explore. I just knew I was to fall in love with the city.

but I didn’t. rome did not leave a very good first impression.

the bnb we had reserved was in a rather sketchy looking area. “it is a very safe here” we were assured by the bnb lady, but by the looks of the many many many graffitied walls and the staring
residents on the streets, I was inclined to think otherwise.

our bnb room was a humble little place, meaning there was little to it but a bed and a washroom. not too much more. not even hot water, that evening. yep, after travelling for so long, my long waited, much needed hot shower turned ice cold while shampooing my hair.

then, on the way to dinner, a bird pooped on my finger.

we didn’t explore the city as intended. after a mediocre dinner (I was not as happy with my pizza as I appear in the photo) and some gelato at the oldest ice cream factory in rome (since 1880!) we decided to call it a day and get a good night’s sleep to prepare for a few days of jam-packed sightseeing.

No comments: