of the six days we stay at the siliano, 3 were spent in the studio and 3 exploring nearby towns and cities. the studio days began with breakfast at half past eight in the morning. julian would return from driving his daughters to school at around half past nine and begin teaching. daniel, by then, would have retreated back into the bedroom for some more sleeps or a leisure day of doing nothing (reading, writing, daydreaming, walking ‘round the estate).
I loved studio days: 9 hours of painting, interrupted only by lunch and a mid-afternoon stroll with daniel. the only downfall of studio days was they were never long enough!
the first day was what Julian called “diagnostic day”; all the artists had to participate in the same sketching exercises to learn/relearn technical aspects and colour theory. it was frustrating. I am often insecure of my drawing abilities, and frankly, I don’t like it all too much... I prefer painting. however, when painting, I wasn’t controlling the water and paint as well as I’d like and it took a while to familiarize myself with the medium. nonetheless, it was a good day. I was being challenged as an artist (by being forced to sketch!) and had the opportunity to draw and paint the entire day!
before dinner, daniel and I shared respective days with one another, what we did, what we saw, what we though.. and then I beat him in scrabble :)
the rest of the evening transpired much like the previous night: good food, good wine, good company, good conversations, mad dash from hot shower to bed, and good sleep.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment