day we left nyc - jan 2, 2010
before heading back home, I wanted to pick up some souvenirs for our family. we drive into the city and headed to murray’s bagels where I read serves some of the best bagels in NYC. the place was jammed pack, which I always take as an indication of a good place to eat, and we dutifully waited in line for ten minutes before ordering a dozen bagels to go and an extra pumpernickel one with cream cheese to try right away. the result was a relatively large bagel filled with creamy goodness- they sure do not skimp on the cream cheese. I am no bagel expert by any means but it was a good one, chewier than the tim horton variety that I am so used to. the thought of that cream cheese makes me salivate.
there were no seats at murray’s bagels, so we hopped on next door to a thai restaurant for lunch. and after that, we walked to billy’s bakery for desserts and to pick up some new york cupcakes. daniel and I shared a piece of banana cake, which was yummy, but we both agreed that the banana cake at dufflets is better. the red velvet cupcake was eaten a day and later, and it was still moist and delicious. my favourite part was the cream cheese icing, which topped the cupcake ever so generously. But of the two cupcake places I tried during this trip, I prefer crumbs; I had a dream about them last night.
we drove by the famed magnolia bakery (of sex and the city) on the way out of the island and there was very long line-up; people waiting outside the and even around the corner. Daniel suggested stopping to try, but since I was stuffed with food and eager to go home, opted not to. I shall have a magnolia cupcake next time.
and then, with bagels and cupcakes in the car, we embarked a long trip home.
this is the end of my lengthy recount of my nyc trip. more pictures to be posted on my flickr.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment