made-to-measure in Toronto

My search of a wedding dress designer continues.

Yanagi Couture: a vendor suggestion from Ms. Chinglish, Yanagi Couture is a boutique with a strong Chinese clientele. The boutique is operated by Evan Yanagi, a hip little lady who only designs clothing. She has a team of tailors, pattern makers, seamstresses etc. who make the dresses for her. Wedding gowns are made from silks for a very reasonable price. Evan breaks out the entire cost of the dress for you, from labour to every fabric to be used. Yanagi Couture also offers a selection of ready-to-wear and custom cheongsams. Prices of wedding gowns start at approximately $1200; cheongsams start at $350.
Callia is a small one person operation. Diana of Callia runs her boutique/studio out of her home; her studio is neat and cozy and filled with cabinets of magazines and fabric. Diana was extremely friendly and receptive and gave great suggestions. She asked a million different questions about my wedding to obtain a full understanding of what I want and I envision. Like Lisa, she showed me different fabrics and explained the technical and price differences. Callia also designs and makes all sorts of different wedding accessories, from jewellery to veils to beautiful opera gloves.

Other dress makers in the Greater Toronto Area:
Hoa Bridal - prices start at $2000
Studio 163 – prices start at $1800
Partina - prices start at $1800
Catherine Langlois - prices start at $1800

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've also been to both Hoa and Studio 163. Hoa had a nice range of dresses but I wasn't confident that we were on the same page when discussing my dress ideas - I found it a bit difficult communicating wit the designer.

The designer at Studio 163 drew up a sketch for me right away - which I thought was great - but after I left, again I didn't feel like she really got my vision. Looking back, it might have been my own inexperience with talking about dress shapes and materials etc.

I've always been curious about Catherine Langlois - have you been to see her stuff?

emahlee said...

Catherine Langlois has an awesome studio, but our styles were different. According to my friend, Partina has an amazing collection with beautiful flattering dresses, but I decided not to check her out as her style wasn't something I was looking for.

Callia was great. She drew up a sketch for me that was beautiful. Lisa Hattem, too- her rates are excellent.

All that said, I think I may be going with Evan at Yanagi Couture as well!

Anonymous said...

I just got my wedding gown designed by Catherine Langlois, I went for several fittings during the past couple of months and have to say that it was a great experience. She also designed my engagement party dress (similar style to my wedding dress), the jacket and the veil. And today I found out that she can even do matching wedding bags... I have to say that I was very pleased with the whole experience, can't wait to renew my vows so I can go back to get another dress.