
Lisa Hattem is a dressmaker who runs her business in her own home, a cute little red Victorian house located in the obscure town of Waterdown, Ontario. Schooled in Fashion Design, she has been making bridal gowns for 12 years and was previously employed as a seamstress at various bridal boutiques. She’s makes her own patterns and chose to focus her business on primarily making wedding gowns. She is very easy to reach and almost quick to reply to emails.
(picture on left is of a gown Lisa designed and made, more can be seen on her website)
(picture on left is of a gown Lisa designed and made, more can be seen on her website)
I went to her boutique/studio/home prepared with a gazillion photos (all similar in silhouette, fabric, and detail). Upon reviewing the pictures and hearing what I had to say, Lisa sketched a couple of dresses for me, all of which were similar to what I had sketched for myself. She then showed me the materials she worked with, something which I am eternally grateful for. I now know the technical and texture difference between synthesized and genuine silks and can put a texture and sheen to a fabric name. I can also recognize difference laces and know how the general cost which their sold at. I think I now may have a slight chance of making Project Runway—I just need to learn to sew first.
it is recommended by a gazillion wedding articles to learn the dress vocabulary. that I had down-pact many moons ago, simply by being a girl with a love for fashion. now, I have also been exposed to fabric types. what else should I learn in order to become a very well-informed wedding gown buyer?

2 comments:
Ooh, how exciting!!!!
it is! it is! being part of the dress design seems to be so much fun... but I'm still debating.
Post a Comment